Sunday, January 24, 2010

D is for Dinosaur!

Each week Ben's preschool has a different theme that they learn all about.  Past themes have included Snow and Ice, Arctic Animals, Giving, Food, Colors, and several more.  This last week's focus was Dinosaurs.  It's funny because at one point when I was a kid I was sure I would grow up to be a paleontologist and could identify many dinosaurs.  You would think that we would have plunged into dinosaurs long ago but even with a handful of books about dinosaurs, dinosaur stuffed animals, small plastic dinosaur figurines, and a dinosaur costume handed down from cousin Kayla the boys just haven't shown all that much interest.  Until now.

Even with a short week of school because of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, the preschool teachers focused completely on dinosaurs with paintings, fossil digs, and other activities.  I even had a chance to get in on the fun as the week's "Mystery Reader."  Each Friday a different parent or family member of one of the preschool students gets to secretly arrive at the school and have the kids guess who they are based only on their voice.  Once the kids have guessed the Mystery Reader joins the class and shares a story.  I was originally signed up to be the reader during Arctic Animals week but with the help of the preschool director I was able to switch weeks with another family and be the Dinosaur week reader.

Sam and I arrived at the preschool ready to entertain.  I crammed myself into the dinosaur costume and when the class said, "Hello, Mystery Reader," I let out a roar.  They immediately guessed a dinosaur was in their presence and were excited to see me enter the room.  I read a fun story called, "When Dinosaurs Came with Everything," that followed a little boy on errands with his mom.  The usual places they visited to take care of their business had a very special offer that day....with a dozen donuts you got a dinosaur, instead of a balloon from the barber you got a dinosaur, at the doctor's office you got a dinosaur instead of a sticker (two dinosaurs if you got a shot).

After the story ended I gave each child a small dinosaur figurine to take home because on Friday a dinosaur came with the Mystery Reader story too!



1 comment: