Friday, August 13, 2010

Excuses allowed

I could easily say that if I had a light-weight laptop with wireless access or even an I-phone to carry along with me when I'm out and about I would stay caught up on my blogging.  I could say that the hassle of uploading photos from not one but two different cameras has been holding me back.  Though a new laptop would be nice I will instead opt to tell you the truth...volunteering was what interfered with my blogging over the past several months. 


This photo more or less sums up June for me. 

Much like last year I spent countless hours working on a HUGE non-profit fundraiser for the Tahoe Children's Foundation in conjunction with three other local non-profit agencies.  The big difference between the 2010 Golf Fore Education weekend and the 2009 event was that due to circumstances in the lives of others involved in TCF, most of the meetings, planning, and organizing fell on my shoulders.  This ultimately meant the boys were with sitters at least three times a month while I attended meetings and Brian remained his very patient self by picking up the slack when I had too much to do.  All of this on top of running my own business which graduated from being a once-a-week dinner to a full-fledged catering business when I
made appetizers for over 100 guests for a wedding over Father's Day weekend. 

The Golf Fore Education event was scheduled for the weekend of June 26th and 27th but for myself and other volunteers it actually began on Thursday the 24th when we hosted a VIP party for the local individuals and businesses who put up money to sponsor tees and greens on the two golf courses during the tournament.  My own little business, Meals By Maggie, was included in the list of sponsors.  After being encouraged to spread the news of my business I even volunteered to be one of the guest chefs along with my good friend and director of another non-profit taking part in the tournament (George Lebard from Project MANA) at the VIP party.  I do have to say that after the months of meeting and planning for the actual tournament, getting ready for the VIP party was a breath of fresh air.  I was just coming off my very successful wedding catering job and went into the VIP party preparations with mucho gusto!  George and I dazzled the guests with Marninated Tri-tip sliders, Thai chicken in crispy wonton cups, Mexican Chocolate cookies, Peppercorn-Pecan Baked Brie, Mini fruit-topped cheesecakes, and Chocolate-dipped strawberries.  One night of celebration soon led us to the real business at hand as the two-day tournament loomed.  But for our family the first order of business was spending time with each other as the following day my parents, sisters and their families were arriving in Tahoe to take part in the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment