Friday, August 13, 2010

Spring Flings - mid and late May

Back in June I actually blogged a little about our activities in May.  I vaguely recall writing about having Dave and Sarah come for a visit over Mother's Day weekend along with Janet and Roger.  I wrote about the Mother's Day Tea at Ben's Preschool.  I even wrote about meeting chef and cookbook author Joanne Weir at a cooking class in Reno. What I didn't write about was our first visit to the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City. 

I can't even count how many times we've driven past the museum in Carson City while running errands.  We finally decided to head over on a Saturday morning and see what it was all about.  The boys loved all the railroad equipment the museum had to offer and loved riding the motor car on the tracks around the museum's park area.  We even got the calendar for the weekends they actually run their steam engines for visitors and planned to return later in the summer.


Ben's preschool hosted an art show toward the end of May where they had artwork from all the kids displayed for families to admire.  Here are some of the works of art by Ben and his class.


Over Memorial Day weekend we loaded up the car and headed down the mountain to Modesto.  Our never-ending winter was still looming as we stopped at a rest area along highway 80 to eat the dinner we had taken along.  We had thought that we would be able to get out of the car and sit at one of the picnic tables but the scattered snow showers made for a long drive and a tricky dinner in the car. 

I honestly don't remember anything exciting happening at Great-Grandpa's house but I do recall the weather being slightly warmer than it was here at home, though Grandpa commented on how it was so cool for May.  I remember enjoying the fresh strawberries Grandpa had waiting for us when we arrived and I remember doing one of the boys' favorite things in Modesto - visiting the various parks near Grandpa's house.  Oh, wait, I do remember one big thing we did - we set up our new tent and had a round of "practice camping" in Grandpa's backyard complete with a campfire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment