Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chaos update

It has now been nearly three weeks since my last post detailing the car accident I was in when another driver ran a red light and hit our Subaru.  So, here's the basic rundown of events since then...
On Thursday, March 3rd, the day after the accident I went to our family doctor and was checked out.  The good news is that there was no concern of any bone injury just strained muscles.  From there I took the damaged car to a body shop in Carson City recommended to us by the Subaru dealership.  I just happened to pick up my cell phone before heading out and had a message from the rental car company saying they had a car reserved for me and with what the insurance company was paying it would cover a mid-sized sedan...not what I was promised!!!  I immediately called back and explained the situation that I needed an all-wheel drive car to take the place of my wrecked Subaru and couldn't  take anything else.  The rental company representative basically told me that unless the insurance company called to change things that was all he could give me.  I called the insurance rep who had been working with me and proceeded to get her voicemail.  I left a message and began the wait.  When I arrived at the body shop I was greeted by a very nice man who assured me they would not only get the car fixed up but would also coordinate with the service department guy at the Subaru dealership to get our car serviced before we picked it up as we had to cancel the appointment we had previously scheduled.  When asked if the rental car company was coming over I had no answer.  I called the insurance rep again and got her voicemail again.  By this point the insurance adjuster had arrived at the shop to estimate the damages.  He heard that the rental car company did not assure me that I would have an all-wheel drive car and promptly called them and demanded that they give me what I had been promised and that he was authorizing it.  Thank goodness!!!  He then gave me his business card and told me to call with any questions I may have.
Once I had the rental car in my possession I took the opportunity to do a little grocery shopping on my own then headed home to Jaime and the boys.  I was exhausted and sore but happy to have one more step taken care of.
That evening I attended my monthly book club which happened to be at the home of my chiropractor and his wife.  All of my friends were very concerned with how I was feeling and it felt good to know that I have so many people in my life who care about me.  I was also lucky that my chiropractor's wife had his schedule at home and was able to add me to the next day's appointments so I could get adjusted and checked out more.
After a restless sleep I was ready to have my stiff body worked on.
To shorten the story I have been going to the chiropractor between 2 and 3 times a week since the accident.  Today was the first time that I walked into the building feeling no pain.  My spine still had quite a few places that it needed to be put back into place but I feel that I am back on the right path to feeling like myself again.
Slowly I have been able to add in my workouts including yoga and snowshoeing without feeling absolutely beat-up when I finish. 
Though we still don't have the car yet we do have new car seats for the boys and have even been reimbursed the cost.  I have been told the car will be ready at the end of the week.
It's going to take some time for all of us to really "heal."  I have noticed that Ben has been much more needy and clingy since the accident. He often doesn't want me to leave the house and will even follow me around the house while I do chores like laundry or simply go to get something from the pantry. He wakes more often at night and cries out for me needing me to lie down with him until he falls back to sleep. I am hoping that once we are back in our own car he will see things as getting back to normal and regain his independence and confidence.

On other notes:
We are still dealing with our obnoxious neighbors who continue to turn the wrong way down our icy driveway (remember back when I mentioned our garage door getting crunched?) but have now pulled the home owners' association into the mix to start issuing violations.  This is after at least two more near misses of cars hitting our building. 

Brian has also ordered a new garbage disposal for the kitchen and for now we are just dealing with the toaster oven only being able to toast.  I have also been able to get back to work in my kitchen and have had two successful weeks of cooking two new recipes for clients. 

Looking back now at the photos I don't see the massive damages I originally felt, which I guess is a good thing.






No comments:

Post a Comment