Wednesday, March 2, 2011

When it rains it pours

Before you read any more of this entry you first have to read the entry prior to this one titled, "If it's not broken..."

This morning our amazing sitter, Jaime, arrived at 9:30 to be with the boys and help me out so I could run errands and do all of the things that become three times more challenging with kids in tow.  The boys and Jaime settled in playing when I headed out the door at 10:00 AM to be gone for about an hour before returning so Sam and Jaime could got to TCF while Ben and I got a little "special time" before he had to be at preschool at 12:15. 

I felt good about the things I had accomplished in about 45 minutes and was heading home just before 11:00.  I pulled into the left-hand turn lane from the main drag in town (State Route 28 aka Tahoe Boulevard) and waited as the first car in line for the light to change to green.  When the light changed I started to turn only to be struck in the back passenger side of the car by a Toyota truck headed straight on the highway when he ran through the red light.  The good news is that I was alone and not hurt....the boys were safe at home with Jaime.  The bad news is that the back corner of our car, just behind the door where I take Sam in and out of the car, is completely crushed.  The taillights are smashed, the quarter panel is dented in, the bumper is ruined and the rear hatch-back door closes but not completely.  All I can think is what if Sam had been in his seat?

The guy who hit me immediately took the blame as we exchanged insurance information.  I called Brian at work to tell him what had happened and he suggested calling our local dispatch so a report could be filed.  With adrenaline surging through my body and my hands shaking I asked him to call for me.  The driver of the other vehicle and I opted to go into a nearby printing company to photo copy all of the necessary information and within minutes I saw an ambulance arrive outside.  It was quickly joined by a firetruck, two county sheriff's deputies, and two Nevada state troopers.  The paramedics questioned if we were okay - which we both were - and then the state trooper stepped in to have us fill out reports.  By this time it was 11:30.  I had already called Jaime who I figured was probably wondering where I was and she assured me she would make sure Ben was ready for school.  By the time I got home it was nearing noon so Jaime and I loaded the boys' seats into her car and took Ben to school. 

With great advice and support from friends at Ben's preschool and at our church I headed home and began the process of making claims with the insurance companies.  After over an hour and a half I have the appropriate info to the appropriate people and am waiting on a return phone call to set up a rental car for our family so we don't have to cancel our weekend travel plans to be with my family to celebrate my grandparents' birthdays.  Many people are surprised that we only have one car for our family...this also complicates things because we absolutely need a car to be able to carry on our daily lives - an all-wheel drive car so we aren't stuck in Tahoe with the winter weather full upon us.

For now I am resting and feeling some tightness in my lower back.  I have an appointment scheduled to see our local family doctor tomorrow morning and I have cancelled my weekly Meals By Maggie dinner for tomorrow to continue to recover and hopefully get a rental car.  I feel blessed to have Jaime here to help me today and tomorrow as she is always calm and positive and exactly what the boys and I need.

I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. At least the boys weren't with you, indeed. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete