Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Darned Things They Say

Obviously I am still trying to make up for my lack-o-blogging of late so here's a peek into the conversations we hear on a daily basis...

Ben: "Knock knock."
Sam: "Who's there?"
Ben: "Pickle head."
Sam: "Pickle head who?"
Ben: "Pickle head, I love you!"

Daddy: "Sam, what are you building?  Is it the Tacoma Narrows Bridge?"
(Apparently there was a movie Brian saw in a science class as a kid that was about the bridge.  Wikipedia: The first Tacoma Narrows Bridge opened to traffic on July 1, 1940. It received its nickname "Galloping Gertie" due to the vertical movement of the deck observed by construction workers during windy conditions.  Its main span collapsed into the Tacoma Narrows four months later on November 7, 1940, at 11:00 AM  due to a physical phenomenon known as aeroelastic flutter caused by a 42 mph wind. The bridge collapse had lasting effects on science and engineering. In many undergraduate physics texts the event is presented as an example of elementary forced resonance with the wind providing an external periodic frequency that matched the natural structural frequency (even though the real cause of the bridge's failure was aeroelastic flutter). Its failure also boosted research in the field of bridge aerodynamics/aeroelastics which have themselves influenced the designs of all the world's great long-span bridges built since 1940.)
Sam: "No, it's something else.  Wait and see!"
Sam was in fact building a bridge using a flexible ruler set across two of their kid-sized chairs.  He then drove his Matchbox cars and trucks back and forth across it and called it the "bouncy bridge."

Sam: "Mom, I just sneezed in my sleeve."
Mom: "Good, that's what you're supposed to do."
Sam: "Yeah, it went all the way outside."
Ben: "That must have been a big sneeze.  Maybe it was a rocketing sneeze!"

Looking out the window...
Ben: "Sam!  Sam!  Come here, look!  It's the garbage truck!  Look!  This is my favorite part - the dumping part.  Sam, watch!  Sam, do you see the semi-circle?"
Sam: "Yes!  There on the back of the truck!"
Ben: "Good job, Sam!"


A conversation I heard while they were playing:
Ben: "Sam, I don't need your help with this puzzle."
Sam: "But, I'm a good man."
Ben: "I know you're a good man but I want a little privacy."
Sam: "Okay, but I'll be back later."


And one I would only get having boys....
While drying Ben off after a bath...
Me: "Ben, stop wiggling so I can get you dry."
Ben: "But, I'm cold!:
Me: "Well, let me get you dry and you'll feel better.  Let's dry your junk."  (Junk was a term I picked up from one of my friends when she first told me about her husband's hesitation in getting a vasectomy.)
Ben: "Junk?  What's my junk?"
I pointed to his groin area.
Ben: "That's not junk!  That's my penis!  We get rid of junk and I need my penis so it's not junk!"
Me laughing: "You're right, Ben."


Ben's school has a theme each week and at this point they are working their way through the alphabet.  This week happens to be H week and today appropriately is Hat Day.  Ben is very concerned about doing his homework each day which usually means looking through my old magazines and finding pictures of things that start with the week's letter.  So yesterday when Sam was napping Ben was restless and wanted to do something.  I suggested getting his homework done for Wednesday.  His response, "Wednesday is hat day.  Can we make a hat?"

So here it is....




No comments:

Post a Comment